Hall of Flame

Museum of Firefighting

 

Motorized Apparatus

 

Home | Collections | Hand & Horse Drawn Apparatus | Fire Related Objects |Graphics|

Table of Contents Page

 

The listing below contains information on seven of the museum's major holdings of motorized apparatus. 

Return to the listing of all motorized pieces by clicking Here.

 

Page 5

 

Year
Nation
Maker
Description

Picture

1946
U.S.
Maxim
Maxim Fire Engine. 1946 Triple comb. fire engine. Ex - Cheshire, CT.  

Maxim built engines and ladder trucks primarily for the volunteer fire departments of New England and the Middle Atlantic states.  The company enjoyed a high reputation for quality, especially its ladders.

This medium capacity engine has a 500 gpm pump, a large 300 gallon water tank, and an advanced power booster hose reel.  Its cab is enclosed, a novelty in the 1940s. 

It served the Volunteer Fire  Department of Cheshire, Connecticut, which donated the rig to the Hall of Flame in 1984.  It is awaiting restoration 

 

1947
U.S.
Seagrave
Triple combination  fire engine. Ex - Vandergrift, PA and ALCOA Fire Brigade.

 

Seagrave copied the ideas of the English Fire Service in its design of this fire engine.  During the 1920s many English firemen were thrown from their engines in accidents or collisions with other vehicles.  The English responded with bus - like fire engines with closed cabs and crew compartments. 

Seagrave built this engine to provide similar protection for American firemen.   The design was not popular with American fire departments, though Seagrave built them for over 10 years.  During the 1960s the increased concern with safety, coupled with attacks on firefighters during riots, finally led to the acceptance of closed cab engines with crew compartments.

This piece was originally built for the Volunteer Fire Department of Vandergrift, Pennsylvania. It later  served in the ALCOA Industrial Fire Department near Pittsburgh.  It was restored by Don Hale in 1999.

The engine uses a V-12 gasoline motor based on the Auburn V-12.  It has a 750 gpm two stage pump and  a 300 gallon booster tank.  Seagrave originally built  an alley in the center of the hose bed that allowed firemen to proceed to a seat atop the booster tank and under the cab's canopy, which they could safely ride to the fire.  The Vandergrift Fire Department got rid of this alley to make more room for hose and extended the width of the rear tail board or "step", allowing firemen to "ride the step" to fires in the perilous but traditional fashion. 

The Vandergrift Fire Department traditionally painted its equipment a dark green.  Seagrave was happy to oblige.

Don restored the truck to its original configuration.

 

1948
U.S.
Willys / Howe
Willys / Howe CJ-2 Jeep Fire engine with water trailer.
Ex - Lake Geneva, WI.

 

After World War II Willys redesigned its famous military Jeep to a more refined configuration, launching its civilian mode as the “CJ” (Civilian Jeep).  The company sold several hundred CJ2s to the Howe Fire Apparatus Company, which converted the Jeep to a small fire engine suitable for use in rural areas. 

With a 500 gpm front mounted pump and a hose capacity of several hundred feet of 2 ˝” to 1” sizes, the rig could be connected to a fire hydrant or configured to draft water from a pond or other waterway.  The Jeep came with a 200 gallon capacity water trailer which allowed it to get into action at once.   

It was  used originally by the owner of a large farm in Wisconsin, who sold it to museum founder George F. Getz, Jr.  Mr. Getz loaned it to the Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, Fire Department, which used it for over ten years. Lake Geneva returned it to the Hall of Flame in 1984.  It was refurbished by Don Hale in 1991.   

1950
U.S.
Autocar /Edgar Tank Works
High pressure fog fire engine. ex - Ardmore, PA. 70 gpm Hardie Pump. 500 gallon tank.  compartments for wet water and Class B foam.

 

This unit uses technology introduced by the John Bean Company in the 1930s to spray fruit orchards with insecticides.  Bean adapted its high pressure piston pumps to fire apparatus around 1938, and the U.S. Navy employed the pumps for fire protection during World War II.   Pumped at pressures of over 700 psi, the tiny fog particles lowers the temperature of a fire scene, thus extinguishing the fire.  It does so with a minimal amount of water.  It was an ideal solution to the threat of fires in the compartments of Navy ships.

This rig is the result of this wartime experience.  It has a 500 gallon water tank that supplies a 70 gpm pump with water at up to 700 pounds per square inch.  It can be parked as close to a burning structure as possible, with no need to connect to a hydrant.  The two high pressure hose lines can be used at once.  Fires in rooms or attics of homes can be extinguished rapidly with very little water damage. The high pressure fog also worked very well at small brush fires and car fires.

During its 27 years in the Philadelphia suburb of Ardmore, the truck made over 8000 runs. Despite this heavy use, it was well kept by the Ardmore Volunteers.  It still has its original coat of paint and has been modified very slightly from its 1950 appearance.

 

1951
U.S.
Mack
Model A Fire Engine. Ex - Eagle Valley, NY. 

 

Mack built over 24,000 Model A’s, about 300 of which were fire engines.  The rest were sold as over the road trucks. The Model A was popular with  volunteer fire departments.  Its 510 cubic inch “Thermodyne” gasoline engine’s 180 horsepower is more  than adequate for it’s 500 gpm pump. 

Top speed is over 60 miles per hour.  The engine served the town of Eagle Valley, New York. 

Don Hale restored it in 1994. 

 

1969
U.S.
Mack
Model CF600 Engine Ex-Calumet City, IL.

Mack fire engines have always been extremely popular in the states of the northeastern United States, especially New York and Pennsylvania, where Mack operated several factories.  This engine was Mack's second version of a cab forward design. It was introduced in 1966 as a replacement for the Model C, which had been in service since 1958.  At one point every engine in the New York City Fire Department was a model CF.  The CF appeared in every possible configuration, from fire engine to aerial ladder truck.

This engine was used in Calumet City, Illinois from 1969 to 1999, when it was donated to the Hall of Flame.  Hall of Flame volunteers drove the rig from Calumet City to the museum with no problems. 

The engine has a single stage 1,000 gpm Waterous pump, a 500 gallon booster tank, a deluge pipe, and capacity for over a thousand feet of hose. 

Power comes from a V-6 Thermodyne diesel engine. It is a canopy cab design with seats for two firefighters in front and two firefighters on jump seats.  Its compact design and relatively short wheel base make it quite maneuverable for a first line fire engine.

 The truck was restored by Don Hale in 2004. 

 

1961
Germany
Mercedes/Metz
TLF-8 fire engine w/ foam trailer. Ex - Stade and Cuxhafen, Germany.

During the bombing campaign of World War II, the German Fire Service found that its two wheel drive fire apparatus often couldn't negotiate bombed out streets.  As a response, during the Cold War the Federal Republic's Department of  Civil Defense built hundreds of engines like this on the chassis of the German Army's  tactical vehicle, the Mercedes "Unimog".  

It's the smallest of Germany's standard fire engine sizes, with a 300 gallon water tank, a  300 gpm pump, and an amazingly wide variety of tools, hose, and fittings.  It also tows a trailer equipped with a foam tank for use at electrical and oil fires. These all-terrain engines were given to volunteer departments for everyday use. If war came to Germany, the volunteers were automatically drafted for service with the German Army. 

This rig spent its 24 year working life in the northwest German towns of Stade and Cuxhafen.  It has a V-6 gasoline engine and a three range all wheel drive manual transmission, oversize wheels, a forty gallon fuel tank, and escape hatch, and fording gear that will allow it to operate in up to six feet of water.

 

Copyright 1999-2014, Hall of Flame Museum of Firefighting. All rights reserved
The Hall of Flame is a registered trademark
6101 East Van Buren St., Phoenix, AZ 85008, (602) 275-3473 (Voice) or 602-275-0896 (Fax)
Send comments on this web site to Webmaster@Hallofflame.org. Last revised 3/25/2015.