The city of Detroit purchased 24 of these 750 gpm pumpers. This rig was repainted in the Detroit FD shops, probably around 1940. Its distinctive windshield was a favorite of the Detroit Fire Department.
Detroit Fire Commissioner Paxton Mendelssohn purchased this engine when it was retired from service in 1951. He loaned it to the city of Lexington, Kentucky, which used it for eight years, then sent it back to Mr. Mendelssohn.
In 1966 Mr. Mendelssohn donated the engine to the National Historical Fire Foundation.